Saturday, March 28, 2009

Oh No You Didn't!

~*~
Not for young Oopsy Readers!

You won't believe what just happen a few moments ago while I was finishing up the previous post. Our computer is in the living room area where all eyes can see activity and not too far from my front door. The front door is open today but the IRON screen security door was closed but not yet locked because we were still putting away yard stuff.

Well I hear some talking approaching the front door and the door bell rings. I ignore it because I don't recognize the people and remain quiet assuming they are soliciting something and will walk away in a few minutes because no one comes to the door. BUT NOOOOOOOOOO!
Suddenly my screen door opens and a man leans in saying "Helloooo". Seriously, ask yourself this question... Would you open the front door to a complete strangers house, lean in and begin to step inside and yell "Helloooooooo?" - No, I wouldn't either.
(That was his first mistake!)

I leaped out of my chair and swooped down the entry and in a yell heard around the world... "Get the H*ll out of here!" Now I'm not a swearing woman on a daily basis, so where that came from HAD to be the depths of my Whoop *ZZZZ former self before Christ! But I wasn't done yet... I continued with "Get the H*ll off my property!" As I was pulling the iron door closed, I see a woman behind him who looks like she just had an accident in her darling Capri pants! The guy says, "Is this Freddy's?"
(That was his second mistake!)

In a voice that again came from the depths of a canyon, I continued to YELL, "DO I LOOK LIKE A FREDDY?!" Now mind you, I just finished doing yard work, I'm stinky and my hair probably looked like I'd seen a vision. "I'm going to FRY you if you don't start running off my property - RIGHT NOW!"
My neighbor across the street was just coming home from the store and watched this spectacle unfold. As I looked back at the guy, he was waddling kind of funny himself... perhaps he had a load in his jeans as well as his girly friend.
My neighbor yells over... "Do you know them?" I yelled again in a voice heard around the world.. "No I don't know who these strangers who are trying to break into my house for a home invasion!" The guy, who was CLEARLY looking like he had wet underwear turned back to look at me, I GROWLED at him.

My daughter came in from the backyard and asked if someone got in trouble? Oh yea, Honey, somebody got in trouble all right!" I told the family who re-assembled nearby what just happened and my son said, "Oh no he didn't?"

Now ya'll, this could have been an absolutely innocent mistake, but I am a cautious woman who lives where foreclosed homes surround the city and people are desperate for shelter and also looking to loot from those who still have their homes. However, learn from this couple who will probably be talking about me in stories for the rest of their lives...
Don't even think about it!
~*~

21 Cha Cha Bloggers left a comment:

Tea Time With Melody March 28, 2009 at 6:56 PM  

OMG!!! I wish I was there. I am sorry but I am laughing because I don't think I have EVER seen you lose your cool. Grant, out of the mouth of babes.....Well, I will for sure think twice before just coming over unannounced!

ChaChaneen March 29, 2009 at 6:52 AM  

lol I KNOW you, I'd let you in! It's the unknown who must beware. ha ha

My M-I-L said.. "I've always said from the first day I met you that I love her dearly but I wouldn't want to cross her!" I was like, "What, the first time you met me I gave you a HUGE bouquet of flowers!" ha ha

So yes, I have my moments! ha ha

Lavinia March 29, 2009 at 8:21 AM  

Wow. A bit ...er...extreme reaction? Maybe they were door to door salesmen, or Jehovah's witnesses, as it is part of their faith to go door to door. In any case, I would keep outer door locked in future, a locked door would prevent them approaching in the first place.

ChaChaneen March 29, 2009 at 8:53 AM  

Lavinia, our screen door is made out of iron and is heavily weaved so you can't see inside but I can see out. And it is always locked, hence but wasn't because we were still cleaning up the front yard area. I have a no solicit sign too. We've had faith based organizations come to our home for years, kids selling goodies, etc... but when I've watched them through the screen NO ONE has ever tried to even touch the door handle or open my door and start to step inside. Perhaps where you live it's safer but here unfortunately it's not. The Mama Bear in me came out to protect my family and I don't regret it for a minute.

Lavinia March 29, 2009 at 10:01 AM  

It is unusual for someone to open the door, certainly no one should open a stranger's door. I wonder if this was an innocent mistake on the part of these 'visitors/intrudors'. Maybe they thought they were at the right house. But, on the other hand, it could have been a ruse to gain entry to your home. "Couple" crime teams are not unheard of in my neck of the woods. We had a very famous crime occur in Ontario years ago, where a husband/wife lured a young girl to their car by pretending to look at a map and be lost. When the girl approached to help them, they nabbed her and the rest of that story is a tragedy. Unfortunately these days, the prescense of a woman in no way ensures that the people have innocent motives. Do you have a dog? A barking dog when people approach is a terrific deterrent. Although my dog is small, his bark is deep and anyone who didn't see him would think it came from a much bigger dog. You know, people laughed when I said my puppy would make a great guard dog, but he has acquited himiself very nicely in that regard.

Anyway, the news headlines tell us what sort of desperation happens when foreclosures happen. Desperate people do desperate things. Better to be safe than sorry.

Lavinia March 29, 2009 at 12:27 PM  

So Janeen, don't leave us hanging...what happened next? I mean, did this pair get into a car and drive off? Did they offer any explanation? Did you get their license number and would you consider reporting them?

ChaChaneen March 29, 2009 at 1:02 PM  

My sister asked me to same thing this morning... sorry to leave you hanging.

They walked DOWN the street about 3-4 houses away from my own. There was wide open and sprawling space in front of my house, neighbors on both sides and across the street but they didn't park there, they were further down. I have the vehicle description and remember what they looked like.

They had walked away, the guy starting making a cellphone call as they got in their vehicle. By then I heard my girl calling for me so I walked back inside the house and watched them drive away.
I prayed for direction and didn't feel the need go further at that time.

Lavinia March 29, 2009 at 8:51 PM  

Hmmmmm, it all sounds highly suspicious. If they were burglars, I sure hope the call they were making was along the lines of "forget that house!" tee hee.

Linda March 30, 2009 at 11:05 AM  

Hmm..odd..good for you, though..we have friends who just walk in, and vice versea..but if that were to ever happen (what happened to you), I am sure I would of reacted the same. Blessings

alittlebitofscrap March 30, 2009 at 1:25 PM  

If I'm ever in the area, I will remember to call before coming over.. who knows next time you might have a frying pan in one hand... LOL!

Caroline March 30, 2009 at 2:22 PM  

Good on you Mamma Bear. I have done a post today on Oopsey with a link to your blog. Thanks!!

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? March 30, 2009 at 4:59 PM  

wow, janeen, if that were me, I would have reacted the same, I'm sure!

twinkle teaches March 30, 2009 at 6:30 PM  

Brave woman! But good for you not taking any crap! That would be scary!
tina

claude March 31, 2009 at 8:25 AM  

At home we have a gate always locked. The people must ring and speak in a security phone. I open if I onlyc want. The hose door is always locked too.

KARNA March 31, 2009 at 9:27 AM  

Oh Janeen...I had to laugh at your description of how you looked after gardening. With bad hair and a stinky self who needs a gun? You were the best MAMA BEAR EVER!!!
Once when looking for a new house, my sister in law and I went into the model home..we were wandering around, heard voices upstairs and figured people were also looking at the house with a realtor. HAHAAH All of a sudden I saw a IRONING BOARD and then a TV..things that are NEVER in homes..then a baby starts coming down the stairs in his jammies.. HAHAHA My sis in law and I RAN OUT OF THAT HOUSE SO FAST and never did find the model!!! Anyway, you go girl! They were probably phoning FREDDIE saying what the h kind of neighborhood do you live in and which house is yours LOLOL.

Marie Reed April 1, 2009 at 1:52 PM  

Ahhhhh! This is wild Jannen! I had to read it twice!

twinkle teaches April 2, 2009 at 2:39 PM  

Saying Howdy! :)
tina

Marie Reed April 2, 2009 at 11:17 PM  

Happy Friday! I am sooo excited about the weekend:)

Miss Jean April 3, 2009 at 8:58 AM  

We have a security screen door like you do. I keep the regurlar door open often times so I can get fresh air. I'm for sure going to remember to keep the screen locked. Besides, my little Maggie could get out and run away.

Thanks for the safety reminder.

MuseSwings April 4, 2009 at 10:59 AM  

Holy Shamoly!!!! How did I miss this post? Good for you making all that racket and getting him and his unmentionables out of your house! No wonder I keep you on security patrol here!!!!

steviewren April 4, 2009 at 3:10 PM  

Whoa, you are fearsome! And fearless! These are scary times. You did the right thing to frighten them away before they knew what hit them. Way to go girl!