Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thankful memories!

~*~
Ah, I recently came out of my carbohydrate-coma from Thanksgiving! Why does that meal require so much preparation and side dishes? The answer is probably tradition and I LIKE IT! ha ha


I set an easy table keeping the decor to a minimum. It looked very pretty in the evening when the candles were lit. I've decided I would like to start collecting Fall/Autumn colored dishes.


Oh yeah, here's a picture of what 400 people having dinner together looks like! Our church gathered in the gym and I must say it was very organized and well thought out.

The food room had 3 tables set up identically with all the same food dishes so the 6 lines went fairly quickly!


Here I am with my Sweet Potato Casserole. I got to talking with my family and nearly burnt the topping! ha ha



Saving the best for last.... here's my girl getting baptised by the Children's Pastor! Amen!



Tonight it was time to put to rest the final leftovers from Thanksgiving, so I made a Shepherds Pie using the turkey, onions, mushrooms, corn, bacon with green beans, gravy and mashed potatoes! It was so yummy!



I'd lurve to know what did you do with your leftovers?
~*~

9 Cha Cha Bloggers left a comment:

KARNA December 2, 2009 at 12:03 AM  

What a wonderful day to celebrate the baptism of your girl!!!!!!!!

Last night for dinner i had the scraps leftover from the turkey, topped with stuffing and then the gravy on top ... LOVED IT...and tried not to think about the calories LOLOL

How did you know Phoebe was me? LOL

Kat Mortensen December 2, 2009 at 5:20 AM  

Yum! That turkey shepherd's pie looks scrumptious! (Recipe please!)

You know, Janeen, ALL of my dishes are retro and in fall colours to match my decor. I have a complete set of Royal Doulton "Kathleen" in creams and greens that I never use!

Congratulations to your daughter on the baptism! What a wonderful thing to be thankful for!

Kat

Rebecca December 2, 2009 at 6:27 AM  

Turkey Shepherds pie? How clever of you...Looks delicious. We had a small turkey and really only had leftovers and sandwiches with ours..I love turkey but have had my fill...LOL!!

Oh, thank you for posting the baptism pictures...What a joyous day for you and your lovely family...Such a blessing:)

So sorry you missed Christmas Tea with Mr. Toast. You simply most plan to attend next year. That was the event of the season for me, and so much fun...I didn't want it to end.

Oh, I so wish you were close, too. We would have such fun! The Tea cup exchange is this Sunday afternoon and I will make it a point to take lots of wonderful pictures for the blog. I may be sporting my new cloche hat for this one...Not sure yet, but I think it may go perfectly with my outfit.

You must return to the Tea Society blog and leave a post to win a drawing for tea, to help commemorate my 200th post:)....

Sparky December 2, 2009 at 8:28 AM  

I know all about the carbohydrate-coma too! Plus the turkey makes me sleepy, but gosh it's worth it. Your church gathering looked like so much fun. Our church only has about 24 members. We're meeting this coming Sunday for a supper. I enjoy those.

God bless! :)

ChaChaneen December 2, 2009 at 12:46 PM  

Poetikat... the recipe was thrown together from all the leftovers and I eyeballed the amounts that just happened to work perfectly in my dish from everything left over... the turkey, the veggies, the gravy and mashed potatoes.

Cassandra Frear December 2, 2009 at 6:04 PM  

Congrats on your daughter's baptism!

Here's a yummy dish you can make with leftover turkey. I cooked pasta. While it was cooking, I grilled turkey in a nonstick pan with Italian herbs. I also grilled broccoli, baby portabella mushrooms, and green onions so that they were slightly seared with fresh garlic. I added a touch of water to the pan every few minutes to keep things from sticking. I set it all out in separate containers with some bottles of salad dressing.

My guests made their own pasta salads. They really liked this!

Nana Trish is Living the Dream December 2, 2009 at 8:08 PM  

These are yummy looking dishes. I know you were so proud of your little girl. I will be crying my eyes out when Avery gets baptized in water. Your family seems so sweet and loving (you too!!) You could be a food photographer. Great shots. Now I'm hungry and it's way too late to eat. :)

R. Quilter December 3, 2009 at 6:43 AM  

It looked like a wonderful day! Praise God! Burnt marshmallows are better anyways.

Betsy Brock December 3, 2009 at 7:33 PM  

I love this WHOLE post! :)