Monday, December 28, 2009

If I eat another cookie...

~*~
If I eat another cookie...

I have eaten probaly 50 cookies in the last week! Some were "Quality Control" and some were because they just taste better hot out of the oven! But now...UGH - Stomach ache! I SAY THIS EVERY YEAR... Parents should get a pass for eating the Santa cookies on Christmas EVE. I did NOT eat them because they were delicious and chocolately and soft... I ate them because my children expected it! It is purely good parenting - one of many, many sacrifices a Mother must make. It is not a sacrifice for a Father to make because THIS Mother got to them first!

It takes several days to make all these goodies but here is what one of the days looked like. Got the kids to help me frost some sugar cookies.
*



I also made CANDY too! This is 6 pounds of the Chocolate Almond Toffee drying on the table. Notice how each batch has a different "lining" under it... ha ha
I was running out of supplies and I was determined not to make a run to the store that day. I have here the last of the tin foil, the last of the parchment paper and a large size oven bag (think turkey bag). ha ha


At the end of day - 4 - I said, "My work here is done, let the parties begin!"
Mind you my family didn't eat all of these. I brought trays and trays and more trays to all the holiday gatherings we went to because I'm usually assigned desserts.
*
How about you? What special item are you famous for at the holidays?

~*~

19 Cha Cha Bloggers left a comment:

The Brown Recluse (TBR) December 28, 2009 at 9:01 PM  

And I wasn't invited to your house for quality control WHY??? I mean, other than the fact you don't know me...gimme me one other good reason (and the fact you wanted them all for yourself doesn't count).

ChaChaneen December 28, 2009 at 10:11 PM  

Ha ha Recluse! Shucks if I had known, I would have put you to work rolling and cutting and tossing cookies in powdered sugar... Then when we were done, we'd celebrate our finished work with tea or coffee. Which are you - tea drinker / coffee / both?

R. Quilter December 28, 2009 at 10:19 PM  

Your family is a cookie making machine! They all look de- lish.
I am famous for my Christmas Eve " Cheese Board" I get cheese from around the world and my husband makes little signs to put on each. I complement the cheese with all kinds of crackers/bread, nuts, fruit and fig jam. For dessert we have a dark chocolate covered pear and upscale chocolate covered cherries. To drink we have a variety of Hot Tea to choose from or Pomegranate apple cider or both.

ChaChaneen December 28, 2009 at 10:44 PM  

Holy smoking rockets! I am all over that cheese board and dessert Quilter. All over it! Yummy

Rebecca December 29, 2009 at 5:40 AM  

Quality control? I love it...Next year, I'd love to be at your house helping with this...:)...You need a taste tester with refined taste buds( all that practice sipping so many different tea blends of course..LOL!)

I'm famous for 3 dishes: a hidden valley ranch cheeseball, chicken and cream cheese appetizers( in phyllo cups), and Italian sausage stuffed mushrooms...Definitely the Queen of savories in our family)..

The Brown Recluse (TBR) December 29, 2009 at 6:14 AM  

Being in the deep south, I am a sweet tea drinker!

ChaChaneen December 29, 2009 at 6:58 AM  

Oh Rebecca all those savory foods sound delicious! And absolutely yes, your tea experience would be a great way to figure out what tea to have with each type of cookie! You'd have to eat a lot of cookies until you got it right of course, part of quality control! Tee Hee

Recluse, sweet tea eh? I have heard that coffee does not reign in the south like it does here in the West. I think I'd rather enjoy all that sweet tea too!

Anonymous December 29, 2009 at 9:24 AM  

Everything here looks sooo good! I really am not good at baking, although I did make a pie from scratch once with the helpful instructions of my husband. He is the baker...he made a great apple dumpling over the weekend.

ChaChaneen December 29, 2009 at 9:42 AM  

LadyCat! Gosh, I haven't had an apple dumpling in years! I lurve them too, don't know why the long absence from them. And of course I've gotta have the sauce poured on top of it! ha ha Then perhaps a scoop of vanilla ice cream to go OVER the top with it! ha ha

steviewren December 29, 2009 at 11:21 AM  

Almond toffee...mmmmmmm! I'm definitely not known for my Christmas sweets. I'd rather make cheese balls and dips and stuff like that. Since I live alone I'm not as motivated to cook tons of goodies...I still like to eat them though.

ChaChaneen December 29, 2009 at 3:57 PM  

Stevie- Ooooh I lurve cheese balls and dips.  Actually it's more like what don't I like?  Cuz I like it all.  With all our specialties, we could do a party and we'd all be eating well!  Lol 

Betsy Brock December 29, 2009 at 6:35 PM  

I am quite sure I have eaten at least 50 cookies, too...plus several slices of chocolate cake, handfuls of nuts, etc. etc. Ugh. But it was all extremely yummy!

Your toffee looks wonderful...that is one thing I didn't make this year! :)

ChaChaneen December 29, 2009 at 7:23 PM  

Betsy, I know I told my hubby he's gonna have to roll me to get around.  Definitely new eating habits come January!  

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? December 30, 2009 at 8:27 AM  

Is this The Chachaneen Dessert Factory???? Mmmmmm... Yep, I would have done the same -- eaten at least one or two hot, right out of the oven!

What a truly beautiful soul you are, Janeen! When I read your comment about your sponsorship, and now see this post, it's a small reflection of it!

Have a wonderful New Year, mon ami! xo

ChaChaneen December 30, 2009 at 8:56 AM  

Petra, thank you for your kind words. Doing the sponsorship has been the best thing because we can correspond through letters. Some have never written a letter in their life and choose not to write but I send my letters and pictures anyway. Others are very good at letter writing and are active in their monthly letters to me. Some hit or miss but the main thing is they go through their year long class and learn how the rest of the world lives and the know they have rights as women and they have the same hardships as other women around the world and they are not alone.

Miss Jean December 30, 2009 at 9:27 PM  

Wow! Talk about holiday baking! You get the prize! I always make my husband's grandmother's recipe for sugared walnuts. Then I eat them all! Yum!!!

By the way, milk toast must be a mid-western thing. You just put toast in a bowl and pour however much milk you want on it. Then sprinkle cinnamon and lots of sugar. Real gourmet! LOL!

ChaChaneen December 31, 2009 at 6:15 AM  

Miss Jean, now that is something I don't know how to make. Sugared walnuts - sounds yummy! Thank you for the milk toast instructions, I will try it!!! Happy new year!

Sweet Cottage Dreams January 8, 2010 at 5:06 PM  

Ok......I have gained 20 thousand pounds through virtual eating. Man OH Man were you busy!!! I love how happy the children look with all of the cookies in front of them.

Becky
:)

Sweet Cottage Dreams January 8, 2010 at 5:06 PM  

Oh, I am famous for my chocolate biscotti.....a must do for my father at Christmas.