Sunday, February 22, 2009

I've been Tagged!

~*~

I have been tagged by my sister at Tea Time with Melody! I've yet to do one of these so this was especially fun for me to see what I would chance upon! The instruction is to go into my photo collection, take the fourth folder and the fourth picture in that folder and explain it. Then tag four more bloggers to do the same.


Here is my photo.... I am writing a letter to my sponsored sister, Devlija, in Bosnia-Herzegovina. It is my first letter to her for 2009 and I took several pictures to show her myself, family and the picture below of me actually writing the letter she will hold in her hands. I felt the visual pictures would help her know that I am real person and not a computer generated sponsor. I mail my correspondence to the organization where it will get translated and then forwarded to her in the native language which I believe is Serbian. Her letters to me will also be translated into English.

I am a TERRIBLE corresponder when it comes to putting something in the mail because I am great user of the Internet/Email/Bloggin' ~. Just this week, I FINALLY got a sympathy card in the mail to a dear friend whose Mother died earlier this month. This is no secret to my friends though as I repeatedly through the years confess my defect in this area. Each year it is my resolution to do better... not off to a good start am I! ha ha This year I am out of practice as last year I sponsored a woman in Iraq and correspondence was not permitted due to the war. This year, I was switched back to my favorite region of Bosnia.

6 years ago I joined Women for Women International as a sponsor to women survivors of war. Each year I get a new sister who I financially support through their program for a small monthly contribution. To me it's like tithing to my church, it comes out automatically. I will share with you how sponsorship works...

Correspondence between me and my sister is an important element in the Sponsorship Program. Letters are an excellent source of support and inspiration for the woman going through the program. We are encouraged to write monthly, and my sister is encouraged to respond to the letters she receives from me. It typically takes up to two months for a letter to reach her and often our letters cross in the mail.

Some years I have had wonderful sisters who have written to me and there have been years when I received no letters, but I continued to write anyway. I am sensitive to cultural differences, particularly if my sponsored sister may have suffered persecution because of her class, race, gender, or ethnicity. I do NOT ask about the atrocities committed against her and her family. It is no surprise either to learn that some women have NEVER written a letter in their life so it's overwhelming to them to even begin to know how to write one. They are gently encouraged and given instruction but it is not required of them.

If you would like to learn more about Women for Women International, click on the link to read more. It truly has been one of the rewards of my life to be a part of this organization.

Okay, now to tag 4 people that I don't think have done this yet...
I hope you'll play along ~ I'd love to see what you post!
~*~

8 Cha Cha Bloggers left a comment:

Anonymous February 22, 2009 at 7:15 PM  

Hi Janeen! Thanks for the blog love and for thinking of me. Actually, I have already blogged this topic on 02-04-09http://oliverue.blogspot.com/search?q=4th+folder

It was a pretty neat little blog post. I hope you have fun with yours.

KARNA February 22, 2009 at 10:16 PM  

Mine's done and ready to hit post in a nanosecond. Quite a powerful photo for me actually. K

MuseSwings February 23, 2009 at 7:09 AM  

I wasn't aware of that organization! I sponsor a child through Compassion, and I think I am bi-polar when it comes to letter writing . I go through phases where I'm either writing lots of them or writing none whatsoever (which is where I am now)Noce post and nice idea to enclose pictures!

Linda February 23, 2009 at 7:26 AM  

Neat! I am not much of a letter writer myself, I am more of a card or email kinda of person. Blessings

Sparky February 23, 2009 at 5:01 PM  

That was a sweet post. You are a real lady. I hope the organization does well and reaches many women in need. Thanks for letting us know! ♥ ∞

blueberry hill February 24, 2009 at 2:11 AM  

Hello!
I just discovered your blog - it's great! I have been reading through a few posts and came to the Auld Lang Syne bit which made me laugh as I am a Scot living in England.
Love reading about your tea parties - what a fab idea!
Annie x

Lavinia February 24, 2009 at 7:58 PM  

It's very nice of you to do that!

Barbara February 25, 2009 at 7:17 AM  

Hello Janeen

Thanks for visiting and commenting.
Those sugar cubes look gorgious and I like your tea storage caddy.