Sunday, February 1, 2009

Extra! Extra! Read all about it!

~*~
Hello my friends! I'm feeling so much better after spending 3 days in bed! Thank you for all your lovely messages and prayers for my quick recovery! My appetite is coming back too and I was ready for something sweet but we didn't have much around since I've been sick to cook. Recently a friend of mine sent me a recipe for 5 minute chocolate cake and said it was the most dangerous recipe known to January dieter's everywhere because you can literally be eating this cake from start to finish in 5 minutes. And you know what.... she was right! It was incredible!
*
My family couldn't believe it. Actually, the only one I had to convince was my son because he's not big on sweets. I know, I know, I can't believe my Son doesn't have a special place in his heart for sweets. My Daughter on the other hand, well... she is a Mini-Me and the special place is well established! I told him it was delicious and he should try it but he said, "Umm, no thanks." I replied, "It will change your life!" He said, "No it won't Mom." I replied, "Yes it will Son. This cake is so good, you'll love it." He said, "No I won't." I replied, "It will rock your world." He replied, "I don't want rocks Mom." ha ha
*
Here is the recipe that serves 2:
*
5 Minute Chocolate Cake
4 Tablespoon flour
4 Tablespoon sugar
2 Tablespoon good quality UN-sweetened cocoa
1 egg
3 Tablespoon whole milk
3 Tablespoon oil
3 Tablespoon chocolate chips (optional and yes we used them)
A splash of vanilla extract
1 Large coffee Mug


Using a fork mix dry ingredients. Add egg, mix again. Add wet ingredients. Mix thoroughly until combined and there are no clumps. It should look like cake batter, creamy and smooth.
Bake for 3 minutes in 1000 watt microwave. I have no idea what my microwave is so I did the 3 minutes and tested it and it was perfect. Allow to cool a few minutes and invert on plate and eat warm!
By the way, NO FROSTING NEEDED!
*
Here are my photos taken just moments ago so you'll be seeing it as we made it.


Here is the cocoa I used. It is a dutch chocolate and I recommend using the best quality you can afford as it does make a difference.



Combine your dry ingredients.


Add your egg and mix again.



I usually buy a small container of whole milk for use in recipes as our normal 1 % milk just doesn't come out right in recipes. I recommend buying a small container every 2 weeks for this purpose as I cook most of our meals from scratch and it's perfect for this purpose.



Okay here it is all combined including the vanilla extract.



Microwave on high for 3 minutes.

Here's my Girl standing by watching the cake rise in the cup. Don't be alarmed if your cake rises over the cup, that is normal per the instructions and it will fall back down slightly when you let it cool.


So here it is 3 minutes later and I wasn't sure it was done at the very bottom even though it had pulled away from the sides. So I lightly tapped it... yep it is done!

Here's my Girl again waiting for it to cool for a moment while I got the plate and forks ready.


Voila! Here it is! It does have a funny appearance as it has volcano looking holes but let me tell you don't judge a cake by it's sponge holes because it is really rich and delicious!



My Girl said it needed something... I agreed... Ice Cream!


So how is it honey? She replied, "It's the best! It changed my life! It rocked my world!"

See I told you it would!


~*~

14 Cha Cha Bloggers left a comment:

Marie Reed February 2, 2009 at 1:13 AM  

My son hates sweets too! He doesn't want a birthday cake this year (Feb. 14 he'll be 9) He wants me to make a broccoli and cheese casserole and stick candles in that! What a weirdo!

Mini you is gorgeous! That is the niftiest cake recipe ever!

alittlebitofscrap February 2, 2009 at 11:29 AM  

So cute! You know.. my dh doesn't like sweets and hasn't since he was a kid. Every once in a while he'll have a piece of chocolate, but it isn't very often. He'd rather have beef jerky. But the guys here in my office.. they love doughnuts, cookies, cakes... So I don't think it is all men in general.. but I do think women love sweets more than men. :) Your cake looks delish!

Sparky February 2, 2009 at 3:04 PM  

Hi!! So GLAD you're better! Welcome back.
I'll be in surgery Wednesday and will have my blog on "Auto-Pilot" for awhile.
The chocolate cake sounds wonderful. I'm going to try it with soy milk (I'm lactose intolerant). Thanks for the recipe. So glad you are back and feeling fine.
((Hugs)) ♥ ∞

KARNA February 3, 2009 at 1:08 PM  

What is it with boys? My son never liked them either.

I am not going to learn how to make that cake because I fear i would make it everyday...too easy!! I dont have half the ingredients so I'm safe!!

Just wanted to say in the first photo I loved the sudafed in the background ;) HAHAHA

love ya and so glad you are feeling better.

MuseSwings February 4, 2009 at 5:59 AM  

I am so glad you are feeling better! I'ts too tragically lonely out here in blogland when you are sick. Your little emergency sweets cake looks wonderful and oh sooo dangerous! I shall remove the box of cocoa from my kitchen immediately. I won my Mister over with "5 minute" coffee cake which obviously rocked his world. This was before micro-waves (oh how did we exist) so it wasn't really 5 minutes like yours. More like 25 which probably seemed like 5...but I am rambling so bye!

Marie Reed February 4, 2009 at 8:06 AM  

Here. Present:)

Anonymous February 4, 2009 at 3:46 PM  

I posted this too. It has been around a few years in emails. Glad your feeling better. I was not on vacation?

Lavinia February 4, 2009 at 6:13 PM  

This is so neat!!! I could potentially make this at work! Yay!. Wow, look at your beautiful ring. You might not want to flash that beauty in front of Muse Swings. She's been known to make things disappear...right into her pocket!

Lavinia February 4, 2009 at 6:13 PM  

Me again. Forgot to write, you daughter is so pretty! I know I've said that before, but its always nice to see her smiling face...

Lori Stilger February 4, 2009 at 6:28 PM  

Hi! I'm one of Karna's friends, so that's how I found you. :) I'm glad you're feeling better! And I think you can give some credit to chocolate cake. :D Your daughter is beautiful - what a delight, to be able to share something like that together. :)
BE BLESSED! And continue to get well!

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? February 4, 2009 at 6:37 PM  

Ugh! It's that time of year. Everyone seems to be sick. Am so glad you're feeling better and enough so you're baking that delicious 5-minute mug cake that's been sweeping across bloggyland!
I have yet to make it, but will soon! My niece stops by nearly every day after school with friends...a quick and easy snack for them!
Btw, your daughter is a beautiful, young lady, Janeen! Takes after her mother! :))

Tea Time With Melody February 4, 2009 at 8:47 PM  

I am so glad you tried this one first. lol Now I will. haha. I wondered when I first saw the email if it was for real.

Marie Reed February 5, 2009 at 11:12 AM  

Hey lady! It's Postcard Friendship Friday tomorrow! (PFF)

Penguins Flipping Fruitcake

Ping -pong Floating Freely!

How are you feeling?

david mcmahon February 5, 2009 at 1:29 PM  

You know the only thing in the entire world that's better than a chocolate cake ....

Two chocolate cakes!