Monday, November 2, 2009

A new favorite!

~*~
My Netflix recently suggested I watch this movie...~ Babette's Feast ~ a foreign film at that! I regularly watch movies with the English Subtitles turned on because that's what I do in the morning... I watch about 15 minutes of the morning news and then turn on a movie for the rest of my vanity time at the mirror. Because of my mane, the hair dryer is on for a long time, thus the reason I lurve closed caption ~ I can read the lines. It also came in handy many years ago when I was nursing my babies and had the television on for light at o'dark-thirty in the morning but wanted no sound.
*
So I rented it... and watched it first entirely almost reading the words so I could understand the dialogue. The second time was to watch the body language. The third time was for the pure enjoyment of it because now I was able to mesh the two together! This is a GREAT film! After I did some research, I found it won an Oscar and wholeheartedly agree that it deserved it. Many beautiful things about this film... is its story... the costumes... the sets... the casting... and finally the amazing way they were able to film the food scenes.
*
I was trying to put my thoughts into words while searching for the pictures to post this and found this writer who put my thoughts into words beautifully. Please go here to read his review of the movie and then put it in your queue to rent it!
*







After watching this movie, I NEEDED to create and bake something (as you will too) so I made an Apple Crisp! Mmmmmm ~ Delicious!
*
~*~

6 Cha Cha Bloggers left a comment:

50s Housewife November 2, 2009 at 11:02 AM  

Sounds like a wonderful movie! Is it in French? Maybe I should breakdown and join Netflix.

ChaChaneen November 2, 2009 at 12:58 PM  

Actually I think it's mainly Danish with a few Swedish and French lines thrown in that I recognized - barely. ha ha

I have the basic plan of 1 movie out at a time and we average about 2 movies a week. So for $8 a month we see about 8 movies. Great deal too because we watch them over and over and return them when we are done because there are no late terms.

Rebecca November 3, 2009 at 6:02 AM  

I need to put this on my Netflix queue. I love foreign films..And I must say that the apple crisp looks delicious..I could go for nice bowl of that:-)

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie November 5, 2009 at 5:08 AM  

It looks like a wonderful film,I've been trying to get my hubby to get netflix.
Thank you dear for stoping by,
Alexia is amazing,God really blessed me with such a wonderful daughter.
You are a lovely lady with beautiful hair.XXOO Marie Antionette

Sparky November 6, 2009 at 2:29 PM  

This is one of my favorite movies too. We have the Subtitled version on DVD now. :)

Kat Mortensen November 11, 2009 at 2:13 PM  

This has been one of our faves for a long time. My husband is of Danish descent, so we are particularly fond of it. The food scenes are amazing and the story is wonderful and surprising, isn't it?

Kat