Sunday, June 7, 2009

Need some tips

~*~



My girl has REALLY gotten the bug to go to garage sales lately. Me, well not so much. I've only gone to a handful of them willingly and the last one was probably 5 years ago when I saw just what I was looking for and it was just down the street from me... an old, beat up, scratched up wooden vanity! Perfect for me who at the time had 2 very small children and needed something that I could sit down at in the mornings to get ready for the day and not worry if my baby boy would draw on it with a marker. I remember the lady who sold it to me for $25 said it would probably clean up pretty good with a little effort. I think I slayed her when I said it was perfect just the way it was... all beat up already. ha ha
*

For several years I have also been looking for a small 2 seater couch to put in front of my vanity too. I've used folding chairs, rocker chairs and now I have a old swivel living room chair that I use. Why a couch? Because everyone wants to sit in my chair! Either I'm getting ready and they want to get ready with me OR they want to snuggle up with their Mama OR because it's cozy watching TV in it too but when you've got 2 kids, someone else has to sit in the un-comfy plastic green chair. I know the years are quickly approaching when they won't want to snuggle up with Mama on the couch but even when they outgrow it, I'd still like the little couch there for myself! Recently my Boy asked me if I had given up on looking for a couch and I told him, No I hadn't but our years of budget lock down had stopped my searching because I didn't want a hand-me-down couch unless I KNEW the house where it came from. Someday it will come our way!
Anyway, back to garage sales... my Girl thinks that they are the greatest thing EVER and thinks that the $2.00 in her pocket is going to enable her to walk away with an amazing item. I told her I would take her a few times once summer arrived and so I'm asking my Veteran Garage Sale bloggy friends out there for any advice tips you can share with us!
Thank you in advance and have a great day!
~*~

14 Cha Cha Bloggers left a comment:

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? June 7, 2009 at 8:53 AM  

That was an incredible find, Janeen! Love garage
sales! The most unexpected gems can be found. Years ago, when I lived in the country, they were all over. Then, people just wanted to get rid of stuff they've accumulated without thinking of price. Now, the attitude has changed a bit. They're hoping to make decent money rather than throwing anything away.

My tip, Janeen, if you find something you've been looking for, haggle a wee bit. A seller is always willing to bargain. And for a few dollars, your girl will have a great time finding what could be a treasure! It's all in the twinkle of the eye of the beholder, isn't it?

Happy shopping and Sunday! :))

p.s. Your comment on my figure 8 was hilarious! I'm going to have to search your older posts for yours!

Tea Time With Melody June 7, 2009 at 9:33 AM  

Tell Bella that Uncle Gerry had $2 too and yesterday he bought a broken car that looked like it came from the Mad Max movies (with Mel Gibson) and only because the body of the car lifted up and there was a monster inside! "Have you ever seen anything like this?? he says to me. I am sure you can guess my answer lol.

Sparky June 7, 2009 at 11:35 AM  

Like you, I'm not much of a garage sale / flea market kinda person. I think it's also because we "don't know where it's been" or the environment it was used in. My husband won't wear 'used' clothing for that reason. We've all got our funny quirks, 'ey? Anyway, long way around the barn, no advice on how to find good garage sales from this corner. I know most folks enjoy them though. I hope y'all find some good bargains and have a wonderful time!
God bless ya pal. Happy Sunday! :o)

steviewren June 7, 2009 at 4:18 PM  

I have so much junk of my own that I have sworn off the thrift store and the yard sales. My daughter found lots of baby things before Elijah was born. She got a pack and play that was brand new, a jumper thingy and a baby mattress that was like new as well.

As to not know where it came from...a good cleaning with Lysol will cure that.

Marie Reed June 8, 2009 at 6:53 AM  

I think that when your at garage sales with kids it's important NOT to stand behind them. Let them haggle.. Sellars are more likely to melt when the kids do it... It also avoids the, 'Mommy I just need 10 more dollars to buy this, that invariantly pop up when I'm at sales with my kids:)

twinkle teaches June 8, 2009 at 9:12 AM  

I love love garage sales! I have never been a haggler (too shy). I always use Clorox or Lysol wipes on stuff when it comes home. My son gets lots of great toys this way and I like antiques or frames. :) tina

For Vienne June 8, 2009 at 9:50 AM  

I am totally a garage sale-resale shop-flea market-bargain-lovin' gal! I value the ability to recycle perfectly good objects that may only need a good clean up. Saves tons of money and doesn't feed that mass-marketing material world we live in! hee hee. I call them 'pre-loved' items and going that route has been invaluable as a new mommy on a budget! But, I'm usually the exception! ;D
And, yes oh yes, my hubby certainly is color blind! Not 100% color blind, but only with certain colors and shades. He typically confuses greens and browns most often...and yellow and green. It's fun sometimes...especially when he comes out asking for his "green shoes"! I'm like "what man has green shoes!!?! THEY'RE BROWN!" hahaha

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie June 8, 2009 at 3:30 PM  

Hello Janeen ,thank you so much for the well wishes.I went to a garage sales this l;ast weeked and bought a beautiful horse head,I guess it was a childs toy.It has a beautiful mane.It was only a dollar.I'm going to glitter it up and redo the mane.So you can find some neat stuff.Your girl just may fine something of her dreams.
On another note.I will be back on the airwaves next week sometimes.I had a little stroke so It was kind of hard to consebtrate on full time blogging.I miss you guys also.XXOO Marie Antionette

Nana Trish is Living the Dream June 8, 2009 at 5:48 PM  

I was so sorry to read that Marie had a stroke. I need to bop over and tell her. I enjoy yard sales. I can remember going in the 70's and getting such wonderful treasures. Now a lot of people want big money. I think it's like a treasure hunt. You have to get up really early in the morning and get there while the good stuff is there. I do agree with Stevie though. I have so much junk of my own that I need to do my own sale before I go out bringing more back.

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere June 8, 2009 at 10:42 PM  

I'm having fun going to garage sales... and finding all kinds of treasures for very little money!

My best tip, go on the first day. I usually go on Saturday mornings, and I don't bother going to any that started on Friday. By the second day most of the good stuff is gone. OTOH, sometimes you can get better prices the second day...

Kat Mortensen June 9, 2009 at 6:48 PM  

I love garage sales and thrift stores. Way more fun than department store shopping.

Kat

Lavinia June 9, 2009 at 7:17 PM  

My only tip is that you NEVER know what you will find when you descend upon a garage sale. Granted, most of it will be junk, but but but....you can come across some real gems. Last weekend I picked up 8 videos in excellent condition for only 2 bucks. In fact I've been meaning to do a post about them.

My other tip is, avoid wooden or upholstered furniture as bed bugs are making a comeback in north America and they loooovvveee to hitch rides on second hand furniture. AVOID!

MuseSwings June 10, 2009 at 9:54 PM  

No tips except to dress comfortably and find a treasure to take home. I picked up several good tips reading through the comments!

Kat Mortensen June 12, 2009 at 10:58 AM  

Tell Lavinia I'm transferring all my videos to dvd. I have a slew of great ones if she wants to have a look!

Kat