Sunday, December 5, 2010

Mrs. Albee

~*~

For my birthday this year, my sister Melody (whose taking a blog hiatus)
got me a large set of Avon's Mrs. Albee miniature figurines!

They are all Victorian in appearance and I just lurve them!
Here are just a few of them to give you an idea of what they look like.





 I had never heard of Mrs. Albee so I went to Avon's website and learned...

In 1886, Mr. McConnell and his wife Lucy started the California Perfume Company.  The company's first product was called the Little Dot Perfume Set, and it contained five different fragrances.


As the company became even more successful, and made more money, Mr.McConnell added on even more products and even had a catalog of all the available products printed up. Fifty-one years after its intial start up, in 1937, Mr. McConnell passed away and left the company to his son, David McConnell, Jr. The younger McConnell renamed the company Avon Products. 


He too worked and strived to build the company into a bigger and more successful venture than his father had already made it.  Mr. McConnell and his wife found that they needed help to sell their perfume early in their venture, so they hired on Mrs. P.F.E. Albee as their first saleslady. Mrs. Albee had earlier helped Mr. McConnell in selling his books. Mrs. Albee went from door to door selling the Little Dot Perfume Set, and she signed up even more women as salesladies for the California Perfume Company.

~*~

7 Cha Cha Bloggers left a comment:

Anonymous December 5, 2010 at 3:33 PM  

My wife loves Avon products. I'll have to tell her about Mrs. Albee.


Thanks :-)

~Ron

the voice of melody December 5, 2010 at 7:17 PM  

Those are SO pretty! Hope you had a wonderful birthday!

Kat Mortensen December 5, 2010 at 11:29 PM  

Hi Janeen!

I have never heard of Mrs. Albee, so this was interesting to read. I used to wear some of the Avon fragrances when I was in my 20s, but haven't in ages.

What a lovely gift to treasure! Did I miss your birthday? I'm sorry if I did. We just sold our house and are having a new one built for us, so I haven't been around much.


I hope you are well!

Kat

The Brown Recluse (TBR) December 6, 2010 at 6:55 AM  

Interesting story on Avon's beginnings! I hope your birthday was just as lovely as you are!

steviewren December 6, 2010 at 8:31 PM  

Happy Belated Birthday to you! You sis must know you well to buy to a present that you would love like these little figurines. Interesting history of the company too.

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? December 7, 2010 at 4:16 PM  

They are just beautiful, Janeen! And so you! I can just picture you strolling the Boulevard! ;)

Happy belated Birthday, Janeen! Wishing you a year of love, joy, and peace! :))

Elizabeth and Gary December 9, 2010 at 8:10 AM  

I haven't seen these sweet beauty's from Avon! I love them they are really pretty, what a fun collection and special gift from your Sister.
Have a sweet day,
Hugs~Elizabeth