Monday, January 18, 2010

Sunshine before the Rain

~*~

It's been an exciting week here! My Girl lost 2 teeth just days apart from each other (you can see the gap on left there) and I got to go along on a field trip to the Monterey Bay Aquarium!


Our first stop was to one of the discovery labs! I was excited myself because I've always wondered what was behind those "Personnel Only" doors. ha ha


Because I was a Chaperone, I was put to work manning the Hermit Crab station.


After our lab time, we were free to roam in our groups. We immediately headed for the Outer Bay Exhibit - my favorite are the Jelly Fish!






Do you see what I see?


Kissing the Penguins!


Do you see the Sea Horse on the corral?
It's on the right side, covering the words on my Girls shirt.


This is mission control for kids!
There are 4 different mini-movies that are interactive as well. The kids were mapping the ocean floor on this one.


We had such great weather too!
Luckily our field trip fell between two storm systems that week.


Splash down!


We made it for the last feeding show of the Kelp Forest, another favorite of mine.



Here we are feeding chunks of squid (I think) to the Sting Rays. In all of our years going to the aquarium, this was the first time we got to participate in feeding them and they gave us a TON of food!



Here's my Girl telling the sting ray, "Nice job!" and was patting it on the head.
Incredible!


I drove my car so when it was time for the school to leave hours earlier, we stayed behind and went through the exhibits again spending more time at our favorites! This is definitely the off-season for Monterey as the streets of Cannery Row were EMPTY! We easily found a restaurant for dinner with a window seat and watched the sunset over bubbly cheesy pizza!
I forgot to take a final picture of that but trust me, it was a beautiful sunset with a great dinner talking and sharing about our fun day in Monterey!

~*~

10 Cha Cha Bloggers left a comment:

e January 18, 2010 at 11:18 PM  

Sounds like a wonderful time! I especially loved the jellyfish photos....so amazing.

About football and tea---who knew those two words could go together....but they could, the guys have to eat right? lol

Enjoyed partaking of your lovely mini tea party....looked delish!

Betsy Brock January 19, 2010 at 5:48 AM  

Wow....you really got some wonderful pictures..those jellyfish are just amazing! Sounds like a really fun day!

The Brown Recluse (TBR) January 19, 2010 at 8:59 AM  

*I* want to go there!!!!! I love anything aquatic. and I am so jealous of the jellyfish photos love-love-LURVE them! Mine never turn out anything like that.
I'm sure you had a blast, I know your daughter did, having you there.
~M

steviewren January 19, 2010 at 3:26 PM  

What a fun field trip. I always loved being a chaperone. Your pictures of the jelly fish are really good. They are such interesting creatures. Your girl looks so much like you. It is nice to see what a good relationship you have with her.

Nana Trish is Living the Dream January 19, 2010 at 6:51 PM  

What a fun trip! I wish Avery and I could have gone with you guys. I love the pictures of the jellyfish also. So pretty and you did a great job. These will be some great memories. Your little girl is sure growing up.

Kitty Cheng January 20, 2010 at 12:01 AM  

Thanks for your message on my blog. I have not been writing much lately, but would really like to help your little girl's project about Australia. Let's keep in touch.

R. Quilter January 20, 2010 at 6:55 AM  

It looks like you had a blast. It is so much fun to watch the kids. I love the jellies ! I also that that big tank room. I could sit there for hours. Remember it is NOT a starfish, it IS a seastar!

Anonymous January 20, 2010 at 9:56 AM  

Your trip looks so fun and the pictures are amazing!

Rebecca January 22, 2010 at 5:11 AM  

Wow! What great pictures...The jelly fish look so poetic..ah but dangerous..LOL!

Your daughter looks like she is having a blast, as does her beautiful mommy....

Kat Mortensen January 22, 2010 at 6:28 AM  

Wow! What a grand day out for your both. We never had school trips that were that good.
Fantastic photos of the aquarium. I may just have to watch "Finding Nemo" again.