Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Working for it...

~*~
Went to Walgreen's on Sunday after church to get my hair color that was on sale with a coupon for a smoking deal ~ that's right, two boxes, count them 2 boxes of Loreal hair color for $4.20 and the kids asked if they could please get 'something'.

I asked them, like what? $1.00 item or $10 item? They REALLY wanted $10 item. I told them they had to make a choice because the budget is TIGHT... sqeaky tight. If they wanted more hot lunch at school then they would have to choose something $1.00. If they wanted something $$ then they would have to work it off. They both LOVE getting hot lunch and frankly, I enjoy getting it for them because some days when groceries are low, I don't think I can pull together as nutritious a lunch from home. I tend to focus on shopping for breakfast and dinner items. So they chose to work for the $$ item.

As soon we got home, then went to work on what I selected to "work it off". Clean Mommy's Car! Yea Me! Yes, they got out the shop-vac and vacuumed the floors, under the mats, in the pockets, wiped down all the leather, dusted all the dash and washed all the windows. Folks, you' ve never seen a Hyundia look so good done by little people!






So what were the $$ items?


Daughter picked out a new Tamagotchi toy...



and Son picked out a TV plug in game, oddly enough his was cheaper and does WAY more stuff!



What do/did you make your kids work for?
~*~

7 Cha Cha Bloggers left a comment:

Marie Reed February 11, 2009 at 12:29 AM  

THAT is a good idea! My car could use a good scrub down! What a great Mommy you are!

I know how you feel about the hot lunch! I think that it is bizarre to how kids will eat veggies at school but not at home. It takes so much of my Mommy guilt away knowing that they are getting great meals a school.. much better than the 4 olives I had for lunch yesterday!

Blicky Kitty February 11, 2009 at 6:40 AM  

Oooh good idea! I think our chimney needs sweeping.

No that's terrible, but it is a really good idea!

Linda February 11, 2009 at 7:22 AM  

When can I expect them here, LOL. (JK)

Great deal on the haircolor, Wallyworld usually has deals like that too.

Sparky February 11, 2009 at 7:57 AM  

That is such a wonderful idea! My parents made me do things like that. Teaches one the value of money. I did a lot of leaf raking on our 1 acre. :o)

BTW, do they rent out? My Jeep really needs a good cleaning ... lol ♥ ∞

Tea Time With Melody February 11, 2009 at 9:02 PM  

My gosh that is so cute. Well, when they come and watch Tigger for us this weekend they will earn even MORE money from auntie.

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie February 12, 2009 at 5:51 PM  

Rather you have the monies or not,your a terrific parent.You teach them what needs teaching,no money can buy that.Happy Valentine's Day to all of you XXOO Marie Antionette

Lavinia February 13, 2009 at 1:27 PM  

They look like they are giving that task all they've got. Yay! You are teaching them a very valuable lesson: the virtue of 'earning'!