Wednesday, May 27, 2009

First fruits of the season

~*~
Strawberries are one of my favorite berries and this weekend I got our first basket of the season. We went through them pretty quick and when there was just enough left to do something with, we made strawberry shortcakes!
I grew up on the box drop biscuit version my Mom used to make...



... but now I'm my own baker, so we make them from scratch and if I don't make the scone version, I'll bake a drop biscuit version and put them in a muffin pan. They come out the perfect size too! Really it's portion control. ha ha


I usually use the cream scone recipe from MY favorite food recipe website of all time Joy of Baking but today I decided to try something different and went to my stand-by website for recipes, Southern Food - but if you choose this one, reduce the baking powder to 2 teaspoons, otherwise it takes like your eating aluminum - icko!
Voila - delicious anytime!

~*~

4 Cha Cha Bloggers left a comment:

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? May 27, 2009 at 7:17 AM  

Oh, just in time! How did you know I haven't had breakfast yet, Janeen? ;) Are a couple for the taking? They look and smell so delicious!
Thank you! I think I'll sit and savor your hospitality and music! Lovely! Have a wonderful day, Janeen!

Sparky May 27, 2009 at 11:11 AM  

Gosh, that sounds and looks so delightful! I'm drooling all over the keyboard. Bad girl! ha ha Between you and Lanny (It's The Dirt) with her wine tasting, I'm hungry and thirsty now. I'll never lose weight ... [sigh] [giggle] :o)

twinkle teaches May 27, 2009 at 9:34 PM  

MMMM this is true eye candy!
:) tina

Tea Time With Melody May 29, 2009 at 10:45 PM  

That's funny because I hate the biscuit shortbread mom made. I prefer the light fluffy Angel Food cake. As a matter of fact I bought one the other day and Gerry and I had some and when I woke up the next morning there was only enough for ONE PERSON!!!! I am sure you can figure out who took WAY MORE THAN THEIR SHARE!!!