Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Hot Lunch!

~*~

Remember the home made bread I made this weekend? Well we ate it up in a flash, so when I was making lunches yesterday morning, I discovered we again had no bread. Yikes - what to make in a HURRY for their main meal? So I opened the cupboards and perused the shelves... an idea came to me .... Hot lunch!

I quickly cooked up some Top Ramen Chicken Noodles and preheated their thermos' and by the time my curlers were ready to come out of my hair, lunch was ready! I packed up their backpacks and we were off!

When I picked them up from school, before I could even ask how their day was, they both said their thermos lunch was delicious and could they have it again! A lot of kids were asking about their thermos' and it started discussions as to all the things they could put in it! The kids were very creative in their ideas too! Who would have thought a thermos could spark such lively conversation?!



Our thermos' do look like this and in permanent maker I write their names on them and send along a plastic spoon for them to use cause we all KNOW that a real spoon just don't seem to make it back home. ha ha

What is your favorite hot lunch?

~*~

5 Cha Cha Bloggers left a comment:

Betsy Brock February 3, 2010 at 7:01 PM  

What a great idea! I'm sure the other kids' pb&j just didn't seem as good! ha!

R. Quilter February 3, 2010 at 8:36 PM  

Lamb over risotto. I had it for lunch on Monday!

Nana Trish is Living the Dream February 4, 2010 at 7:30 PM  

This thermos is so cute. I'll bet the kids loved their lunch. When my mommy made me yummy lunches like that I felt so special. You are such a sweet mommy and I could just picture you fixing their lunch and getting ready.You are in such a wonderful season of life. Having those darling kids is such a blessing. Thank you for always saying such sweet and encouraging comments. A thermos always reminds me of my daddy and his lunchbox. It was the 50's and he'd get off the bus swinging his lunchbox every afternoon around 5. Your kiddies will have lots of sweet memories. It seems like you guys are always doing fun things.

The Brown Recluse (TBR) February 6, 2010 at 7:50 PM  

My favorite hot lunch is usually the daily special and the local Legends! lol I can order a bowl of wonderful potato soup and some of the best corn bread ever made for about 3 bucks at this restaurant! Can't beat that for a hot lunch.
(I started to tell you about a hot lunch that I cooked, but then I remembered, I don't cook! I guess that's why I was drawing a blank.)
~M

the voice of melody February 13, 2010 at 10:04 AM  

The thermos got me thinking about new lunch possibilities because I have 2 here at home and never use them. I have never done lunch in a thermos for Sweet Cheeks but now that he's 8, I would think he should be old enough for it. What age did you start with your kids? I'm a little afraid of him spilling it I suppose. He loves my chicken soup so I could give him a thermos of soup once in a while. I'm not sure what else I could put in there. Mmm, I'll have to search for a few ideas online.

It was great visiting you today, hope all is well with your relatives and I will be praying for them.

Love and hugs!