Monday, July 6, 2009

Weekday Timesaver

~*~


I thought I would share with you one of my weekday timesaver tips!


Like most of us, I work full time and already get up at O'Dark-Thirty during the week. In fact, I'm already dressed with my hair and make-up done before my kids wake up at 6:30am because once they are up, I have to keep them focused on the morning routine otherwise they are easily swayed to play with a toy or morning cartoons. So to make my weekday mornings go smoothly, several years ago I started doing this....

On either Saturday or Sunday, I ALWAYS make a double batch of pancakes or waffles so I have some already-made breakfast choices that are easy to reheat and serve. I also make a BIG batch of bacon about once a month too. We eat some on the weekend and the rest get packaged up and put in the refrigerator to use that week.


For both the pancakes and the waffles, I slightly undercook them so when they are reheated, they finish perfect everytime. Waffles go in the toaster and pancakes go in the microwave. I'll serve them up with eggs done in a variety of ways and Voila, breakfast is ready in less than 8 minutes from start to finish!







I package them up 4 per bag as my kids will each eat two and my Man will eat all 4.




Thankfully, my family doesn't get tired of pancakes and waffles but when they do, I can easily serve the old standby... milk and cereal.

What do you do to make your weekday routine easier?
~*~

8 Cha Cha Bloggers left a comment:

Tea Time With Melody July 6, 2009 at 9:25 PM  

ummmmmm, I am going to start coming by your place on the way to work. Your double batch and all should be plenty, hehe

Sparky July 7, 2009 at 1:11 PM  

That is such a wonderful idea. And Oh my, I would never get tired of Bacon nor Pancakes either! YUM! Unfortunately I've had to give up red meat because of gout but I still love it. [drool]

Caroline July 7, 2009 at 2:19 PM  

Us working mothers get very creative with our time saving don't we. Good Tips!! Love the dark-o-clock bit.

twinkle teaches July 7, 2009 at 10:01 PM  

I need a bigger freezer. I like this idea because my son loves pancakes right now...
I wake up at lunch o'clock sometimes because I have been up all night with l'il rowdy!
:) tina

Marie Reed July 8, 2009 at 7:57 AM  

I'm a mass cooker too. I tend to batch cook so that I always have a bunch of 'I'm pooped and don't want to cook' options:) I'm going to try this with pancakes an bacon!

Betsy Brock July 9, 2009 at 11:22 AM  

I love to make extras! It really is an easy way to have another meal ready to go. Every time I do it I wonder why I don't do it more often!
Undercooking them a little is an excellent idea!

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? July 10, 2009 at 8:16 AM  

Omg, I haven't had breakfast yet! I'm drooling!

Great tips, Janeen! I try to do the same as I can never tell when my niece and her friends stop by after school which is just a few blocks away, thus the frequent visits! From what they say about the caf food!

Have a wonderful weekend! :))

Lavinia July 17, 2009 at 6:29 PM  

You are a model of efficiency!

I find that my slow cooker eases the week's chore load.

I also find that getting enough sleep on the weeken ensures that you start the week off fresh and energetic. I notice that when I stay up too late on Saturday night...I pay for it during the week with a feeling of heavy fatigue!