Saturday, July 17, 2010

My Recession Tea Party

~*~
My Recession Tea Party!

As I mentioned in my previous post, it was my turn to host a tea party but finances are what they are and I did something I said I would never do.  Ask people to bring food when I host a tea party.  It's just my thing.  It's just how I roll.  It's just the hostess in me.  Well, never say never!  

So I decided if I was going to have to do it, I was going to make it fun and make a memory!  I sent out invitations announcing that Chachaneen Manor was in a recession, the treasury had dried up, I'm brewing over my deficit because I'm Taxed Enough Already (hence the TEA Party theme) but it was no reason to cancel a party.  I decreed we were going to do the Pantry Challenge and come up with something from our pantry's to bring to the party!  I also encouraged them to wear their worn out clothes and aprons! 

Can I just tell you how nifty my family and friends are?  They are about as handy as a pocket on a shirt and they did not disappoint me!  I wish my friends in bloggyland could have been there too because there are some serious Betty Crocker's and Creative Martha's out here!

To stay true to my theme I REALLY wanted my party favors to be inexpensive yet creative so I did some reading about how families made it through WW II with ration coupons and lack of ingredients. Here is what I came up with!
  
***Spoiler Alert***
 For those of you who came to the party... you'll now know what is inside your mystery can! Ha Ha! 

I got cans and took the labels off.  Remember movies where a family would discover a can of "something" and everyone crowded around to see what was inside?  Could it be corn?  Could it be beans?  Or could it be PIE FILLING?  Then I made dahling labels with my scrapbook supplies and tied them around the cans with simple twine.






Then I decorated my table with things I already had... a country vase full of flowers and my little sewing kit from where I poured out all the buttons to use as decoration on my CUTE cherry patterned table cloth.  Those buttons would come in handy later too during the party.




My tea table is ready for the first cuppa!


Guests began to arrive and I squealed with delight when 
"Rosie the Riveter" 
aka Jenifer, arrived at my party! 


Here was the results of the pantry challenge!
Of course I made my cream scones with piles of cream and lemon curd!


Vienna Sausages (that's right, those little .50 cent cans) wrapped in flaky crescent dough and deli mustard as the dipping sauce!


This is what my husband's 92 yr old Grandmother brought, Dry Salad!
(Think ambrosia salad with cottage cheese, orange slices, pecans and jello)


Ann brought a pot of Beans with Ham and Cornbread Muffins!




JoAnn brought this delicious tray of Fresh Fruit!


Melody brought Strawberry Shortcake and we used my extra cream from the scones to top it off!


No one went home hungry today!


After we finished our lunch, we decided to play some cards and gathered up all the buttons on the table to use as "Ante" while we played Black-Jack!  We talked and talked about memories from the past and how far we've come today in blessings.  Seriously, my generation does not even know what "doing without" means.


I was so spoiled with creative gifties my family and friends gave me too!
Now aren't these CUTE!  They are fancy pink cupcake liners!  Oh the ideas are already swirling in my mind on how to use them!


I also got this traveling jewelry case Crowned just for me!


Jenifer was in character all day and her gift of Rosemary was straight from her garden!  Even cuter is the tea cup pot she planted it in!  So creative and I lurve it!


We laughed at how similar the idea was for my next gift and it was a Herb Growing Kit!  I can't wait to plant it this weekend!


Oh so lovely is this!  Layers and layers of French milled soap!!!



This was my favorite memory of the day!  
Jenifer indulged me in a "Rosie the Riveter" pose holding her mystery can. ha ha


We all agreed this was a great afternoon full of memories and was only better because of delicious food blessed by the hands that prepared it!   We are truly blessed!

~*~

8 Cha Cha Bloggers left a comment:

the voice of melody July 17, 2010 at 11:48 AM  

Your tea looked like so much fun! The food looked very yummy and your table was as pretty as ever! The favors were very cute too, and I have to say the rosemary in the teacup is super creative. Even better that it came from her own garden.

Thanks so much for sharing your afternoon tea, it makes me want to have one soon!

R. Quilter July 17, 2010 at 11:52 AM  

I could not wait for your post! It looks like you had a great time! I think you should write a tea party book.

steviewren July 17, 2010 at 1:32 PM  

You have a fantastic bunch of creative friends and family. But beyond that, you are absolutely the hostess with the mostest!

steviewren July 17, 2010 at 1:33 PM  

You should go into party planning as a second career!

Betsy Brock July 18, 2010 at 6:13 PM  

What a great idea! It really doesn't take a lot of money to serve up a yummy tea!

Susan July 20, 2010 at 4:55 AM  

I always admired that "can do" spirit
of gals on the WWII Homefront !
I have some old ration books from my grandmother. Love the cherry print tablecloth !

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? July 23, 2010 at 8:44 AM  

Omg, Janine! You and your friends have the most wonderful creativity and spirit! What a wonderful day and the idea is fabulous! I would definitely have enjoyed the day. I have to agree with the other comments about you thinking of becoming a party planner. It's hard now with the chldren, but as they get older. You're a natural!

Thank you for sharing your special day, Janeen! :))

p.s. My niece and my mother just celebrated their birthdays. I posted a pic of my mother who was 16 before she and my father moved to the United States. Women always looked so glamourous, even post war! :))

Angela McRae July 26, 2010 at 10:36 AM  

Oh my, I absolutely ADORE this idea for a Recession Tea Party! Just goes to show, nothing should ever get in the way of a good tea party. Sure looks like fun!